Sunday, August 4, 2013

Brentwood Grand Prix State Criterium Championships

Well after a pleasant drive down to LA I found myself at another big time criterium; Brentwood Grand Prix, the 2013 State Criterium Championships. Nestled in downtown Brentwood this crit had a similar course layout and feel to Manhattan Beach GP except with a few more turns. After airing up the tires, pinning the number, and fastening my helmet on, my teammate Ross Davis and myself did a few warm-up spins to get the lungs and legs ready for what was going to be a fast race, and that was just the case. With the blow of the whistle a full field of 125 Cat 4 racers clipped in, the race was on. After a tight turn 1 and one quick right and left hand turn the peloton was spread completely out due to the long straightaways. Now I could see how large this race was, so many riders and battling for position with not even one lap completed; welcome to LA criterium racing. After about 6 or so laps the field bunched up towards the start/finish line and this was to be problematic. A big crash at around 26mph took down 30 or so riders, including myself. Some riders had to call it quits due to injury or broken equipment but for the lucky few we were able to get our free lap and get back in the race. With 5 to go I was pushed back into the gauntlet and found myself fading with 2 laps to go. Unfortunately I was popped off the back of the group right before the last turn but I held on for a 37th place finish out of 125 racers (only 61 finished). A good finish considering the circumstances but really wish I could've been up there sprinting for a higher place. With only 1 more race to go in my season I'm honestly surprised how well this year has gone and looking forward to getting back to training. Thanks to all my sponsors, teammates, friends, and family for their support throughout the season. Hopefully I can end on a high note at the San Ardo RR on 8/17!

-Zane

Oh yea! I met Roadblock! 


No comments:

Post a Comment